Thursday, April 9, 2009

I Began to Learn - They Called it "Truth"



My mother quickly accepted a 'study' of the Bible from Jehovah's Witnesses. But we found out quickly that Jehovah's Witnesses never study with future recruits from the Bible directly. And the word 'study' is used by them in a somewhat falacious manner.





The first book I was introduced to was called "From Paradise Lost - To Paradise Regained". It was not the classic 17th Century volume and it's sequel written by John Milton. This one was a rather oversized, salmon colored 'Bible study publication' written by unknown author[s] sitting in the offices of a growing religious corporate headquarters in Brooklyn, New York.

As a lad of only four years old, I was impressed with the cartoonish looking artwork. The first chapter was entitled; "God Creates Mankind's First Paradise" and was followed by "God Creates the First Human Souls". Those chapters contained colorful drawings of the first man and woman in Eden. Adam was depicted as Adonis-like, and his companion Eve was beautiful. Adam was clean-shaven for reasons that I did not question at the time. Other pictures that would have impressed a young person depicted animals living in perfect harmony with each other. The six creative days were layed out, with some notable departure from typical Christian theology, as well as unprovable 'facts' about this early period of pre-historia that today, as a grown and well-informed man, I know to be either total bunk, or in the very least, without any basis in science.

That first chapter stated, as if it were absolute fact, that each of the six days of creation listed in the opening salvo of Genesis, were in fact each of 7,000 years length. Also, that the beasts we know today as predatory carnivors, were in the beginning peaceful, apparently grass eating herbivors. And that the sun, although created ahead of animals and man on the earth, was just a hazy light, obscured by billions of tons of water that enveloped the earth in a 'canopy'.



Right away, chapter 2 began to set the stage for some key doctrines that would influence much of my thinking. The writer asserts that the 26st verse of the Bible proves that Jesus was with Jehovah in heaven and assisting with creation. Such early influence prejudiced me for most of my life against more typical theology in Christianity. But at the time I had no idea how powerful these early teachings would prove to be for me.

I became the perfect Witness student. I could not wait for the next study session to arrive each week. I prepared as well as any four year old could. Years later, one of my early instructors in the religion told me that he recalled my sitting at the kitchen table, barely able to see over it and the books in our hands, raising my hand eagerly to answer every question. This even though I did not read at this point. These powerful drawings, and my mother's daily teaching of me what they meant, had transformed me mentally into a Jehovah's Witness long before I became one officially. I was 'hooked'. As I look back now, I realise the careful attention that went into these tools intended to begin the process of indoctrination early in life. The book was colorful. The illustrations were powerful. I was becoming entranced with these teachings at a very young age.

Although the Society later worked hard to deny by omission the doctrine of 7000 year creative days, it never left my mind. The imprint was undeniable.

During these early days, I was also subject to attending my first meetings with Jehovah's Witnesses. The meeting places were never called churches. Ever. They were called Kingdom Halls, because this was where we were supposedly taught to become good and faithful servants of the 'Kingdom', while we waited patiently for the return of paradise to the earth and our salvation. These meetings were very formal. All the male members, including those of a very young age, wore suits and ties. All the female members, including little girls, wore dresses. None of the men wore beards or mustaches. There was no 'Sunday School' classes or 'Youth Classes'. Youth were seated with adults in a single auditorium. There were five meetings every week. We were expected to attend all of them. Two hours on Sunday, an hour on Tuesday, and another two on Friday evening. Besides those mandatory sessions, which were quite boring to those too young to understand the deep subject matter under discussion, there were also several 'assemblies' to attend each year.

In spite of the seeming lack of youthful attractions, I was very attracted to this religion. I took it up with zeal, even at such a young age. We were becoming a family of Jehovah's Witnesses - and fast. My dad, who was never a JW, was for a long time a 'believer' in what they taught. Shortly after our 'study' began, my dad began to speak to a fellow worker and eventually 'helped' him to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses also. My mother was busy trying to convert her best friend. My little brother and sister and I were getting involved at our level too. It all seemed so wonderful. God was saving us. All the world, all religion was wrong, except for our religion. I recall developing a deep loathing for other religions. I remember walking past the local Methodist Church and envisioning lightning bolts destroying it at Armageddon. I remember gathering up all the Watchtower magazines in the house [the semi-monthly periodical of Jehovah's Witnesses] and using a hole punch to create a 'file' of them held together with string. The literature was taking on a Holy nature to me, as it does to most of Jehovah's Witnesses.

All of this happened before I started school. As I look back, I doubt I could have shaken my intense attachment to this religion, even if the family would have abandoned study by this point. Why do I say this? Because, that in fact is just about what happened. My mother became an 'inactive' Witness almost immediately after officially becoming one, and remained that way for most of her life. My dad never did become a Witness officially. We soon began to miss almost all the meetings, and our 'studies' were only hit and miss for years after that initial burst. Still, by the time I was ready to start school I was convinced that I had the 'Truth'.

My awareness of how powerful the insidious influence of this religion is has largely influenced my resistance to allowing my grandchildren [whom we raise] to have any interaction with religious literature or church attendance until they are much older and able to decide their opinion of it based on mature thought. Looking back, I know now that I was destined to accept this religion more because of my own disposition and youthful inability to reason, than because it offered anything close to cognitive support for it's doctrines.

While JW's [and other religions] argue in behalf of early 'training', I personally believe it to be wrong. It unjustly prejudices children to accept ideology that they cannot possibly be equipped to refute, no matter how dangerous it might be.

By the time I began school in 1960, I already willingly refused to salute the flag, say the pledge of allegience to it, stand for the national anthem when played. I did not celebrate my birthday nor any holidays. I would not accept a Valentine, or a Christmas card from a classmate. I was dismissed from the classroom every time a holiday party was underway. I already 'knew' in my heart, that when I became adult, I would refuse anything whatsoever to do with military training or war. I hated toys with war themes - I never had a GI Joe or a play gun. I was destined to become a loner.

I recall one time coming across a small American flag in a drawer in our home. I must have been less than six years old at the time. I had heard someone say that burning of the American flag was against the law. The disgust in my heart for this piece of cloth was immense though, based entirely on my indoctrination by Jehovah's Witnesses in the past year or two. I waited until dark, sneaked outside with a book of matches and the flag, and gleefully burned it in our yard behind the garage so that no one would see.

All of this in spite of the fact that my parents were not even practicing JW's! And in point of fact, they never were particularly strong JW's. I would eventually become one, a very zealous JW in fact.

My training was underway. Throughout the years, Jehovah's Witnesses have printed new tools to indoctrinate the young and impressionable children in their midst. They have always been colorful, filled with art and images that impressed doctrine with pictures upon minds unable to reason beyond what they were being taught. The titles of these books has changed. But the intention never has changed.

The very fact that now, fifty years later, these recollections are so powerful, is proof of how powerful these influences can be for children. If these children happen to be getting their training from a cult disguised as a religion, they may never escape. Or, as I did, they may eventually escape, but having wasted dozens of years of productive life before that happens for them.

Next: Momentous changes in the 60's. Armageddon is Near!

1 comment:

  1. Reading this is bringing back those old memories of my childhood as a JW. I'm eagerly awaiting more...

    ReplyDelete